The libraries are open again with limited service
We are delighted to announce that from Thursday 14 May we can open our doors again! For the time being we will be open Monday to Saturday from 12:00 to 17:00. We will be offering a reduced service and various hygiene measures have been introduced in the branches based on RIVM recommendations. The safety of both our visitors and our staff are paramount to us.
To prevent too many people coming to the library at the same time we will be lenient in dealing with fines on late materials; library materials may be returned until 3 June without incurring any (additional) fines. If materials should have been returned before we closed, the fine which applied up until that time will still apply. However, the amount of the fine will not have further increased during the period that we were closed.
You are welcome to visit the library for the following:
- To borrow via the self-service desk and to return materials using the special containers provided.
*At the Central Library on 14, 15 and 16 May you can return materials but not yet borrow anything. The second, third and fourth floors of the library will be open again from 18 May. The first and the fifth floors will remain closed.
- To join the library.
- To collect reserved materials.
- To settle outstanding payments.
Unfortunately, it will not be possible to use the library for any other matters than those listed here. For example, you will not be able to use the computers, Wi-Fi, or printers. Nor will it be possible to read newspapers and magazines, work and study in the library or meet people there. All events and meetings will also be suspended for the time being. Similarly 'het Taalhuis’ (language centre) and ‘Taal in de Bibliotheek’ (Language in the library) will remain temporarily closed due to the coronavirus measures. Do you want to keep practising your Dutch while you are at home? Check out the following websites:
What do you need to take into account when you visit the library?
• No more than one person per household may enter, therefore we kindly request that you try to come alone.
• Only a small number of people may be in the library at the same time, depending on its size.
• Please clean your hands as you enter the library using the disinfectant gel provided for that purpose.
• Remember to maintain a distance of 1.5 metres (5 ft.) from other visitors and staff.
• Your materials must be returned using a special container: you will not be given a return receipt but four days later you will be able to see in ‘Mijn Bibliotheek’ (My library) what you have still outstanding on your library card.
• The borrowing period will automatically be for six weeks.
• The toilets will not be open.
• Please remember to cough or sneeze into your elbow and use disposable paper tissues, as recommended by the RIVM.
• Please do not visit the library if you have any symptoms which could possibly indicate that you may be infected with the coronavirus.
What else is the library doing to protect your safety?
• We will help visitors to maintain a distance of 1.5 metres through the use of clearly laid out sticky tape.
• Where necessary we will place instructions in the library to remind everyone of the house rules, which our staff will also enforce.
• We will ensure that the libraries are clean and where necessary sanitising materials will be provided for visitors and staff.
• Returned materials will be placed in quarantine for three days.
We will keep you posted on further developments!